On the first ever episode of the Tourpreneur Podcast, host Shane Whaley talks with Alice and Torin of The Flying Bike in Asheville.
If you’d prefer to read the transcript of the episode, you can do it here.
On Episode 1 of the Tourpreneur Podcast, Alice and Torin reveal:
- How they went about buying a tour business on Craiglist and why buying a pre-existing tour business could be right for you.
- What inspired Alice and Torin to set up a business in tourism, an industry neither of them had worked in or had experience in.
- Why connections is an important part of their company values and mission.
- How they overcame imposters syndome.
- Torin talks us through what it was like to lead his first tour
- What they would do differently if they had to start all over again? (Or if Shane was able to borrow Dr Who’s Tardis and go back in time.)
- Tips for recruiting tour guides and staff (including interview advice.)
- Torin and Alice share how they solicit customer feedback.
- Why they use Tourism Tiger for their website.
- How Kelsey Tonner’s Be a Better Guide course has flattened the learning curve of running a tour business
- What tools, apps, resources and books they recommend.
- Why they love the Arival conference and what they got out of it.
- Why they chose Fareharbor as their booking platform
- And Much Much More
Tour Operator Resources mentioned on this episode.
- Fareharbor Booking Platform
- Arival Conference for tours and activity providers
- Tourism Tiger – web design for tour and activity operators
- Online Tourism Academy training for Guides and Tour Businesses – Kelsey Tonner
- Wherewolf App (Digital Waiver – Guest Check In and more.)
- On The Clock – Online employee time clock system.
- Gmail Suite
Books for Tourpreneurs
- Sell More Tours by Matt Newton
- Why Employees Are Always A Bad Idea by Chuck Blakeman
- Traction – Get A Grip On Your Business by Gino Wickman