How A Tour Operator Increased His Bookings Working With GetYourGuide – Meet the OTA with Carlee Stellfox Loya and Marc Terrier. (111)
TP111 – Meet the OTA -What is it really like working with GetYourGuide as an activity and tour operator?
Carlee and Marc join me today to discuss the relationship between OTA GetYourGuide and tour operators. Marc shares how GetYourGuide extended the reach of his tour business, giving him access to new international customers, and discusses how cooperation with GetYourGuide has improved his business growth.
Carlee discusses how tour operators can optimize their listings and generate revenue during the current pandemic. She also shares her experience of making the leap from the operator to OTA and the insights this has given her.
September’s Daily Brief and the Tourpreneur Podcast is kindly sponsored by Checkfront, the booking management platform that always has your back — like now.
Checkfront is giving away a multi-month free trial for Tourpreneurs so that you have plenty of time to explore the software and see how well it can support your business. Go to checkfront.com/tourpreneur to claim your free trial for the rest of the year.
Carlee Stellfox Loya is the Regional Manager for USA West, Canada West, and Mexico at GetYourGuide, an OTA that books tours, activities, and attractions anywhere in the world. She previously worked for Bauer’s Intelligent Transportation, Extranomical Tours, and Princess Cruises. Carlee holds a Bachelor of Arts from Western Washington University.
Marc Terrier is the tour operator behind Edge of the World Tours, who provides amazing wine country tours in San Francisco and was awarded the Best Food and Drink Tour in 2019 by GetYourGuide. Marc has more than 25 years of experience working in leading operations teams, previously working for Extranomical Tours and the Viceroy Hotel Group. He holds an MBA in Entrepreneurship from the Queensland University of Technology and a BS in Hotel, Restaurant & Tourism Management from Golden Gate University.
“Most successful tour partners all have one thing in common: they have a great product to start with.” – Carlee Stellfox Loya
This week on Tourpreneur the tour operator podcast:
- How GetYourGuide allows you to access new international markets
- How GetYourGuide’s curated model works and what they are looking for in a tour partners
- The tours and activities that GetYourGuide wants
- The significant revenue growth experienced by Edge of the World Tours since working with GetYourGuide
- How GetYourGuide worked with Marc to optimize his listing
- Why Carlee recommends investing in professional photos
- How to have a successful experience with an OTA
- The emphasis on cooperation and partnership when you work with an OTA
- How GetYourGuide and Edge of the World Tours are generating revenue during the pandemic
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “When you partner with an OTA, particularly GetYourGuide, with their curated model and team, you are able to broaden your marketing reach pretty dramatically.” – Marc Terrier
- “Just before COVID-19 kicked in, GetYourGuide had become my number one source of business.” – Marc Terrier
- “Encourage your guides to direct your customers to leave a review where they booked.” – Carlee Stellfox Loya
Connect with Carlee Stellfox Loya:
- GetYourGuide on LinkedIn
- GetYourGuide on Instagram
- GetYourGuide on Facebook
- GetYourGuide on Twitter
- Carlee Stellfox Loya on LinkedIn
Connect with Marc Terrier:
- Edge of the World Tours
- Edge of the World Tours on Instagram
- Edge of the World Tours on Facebook
- Marc Terrier on LinkedIn
Not sure how to market your tours and activities locally?
Checkfront has released an in-depth and highly actionable e-book on local marketing, which covers everything from optimizing your local presence online to standing out in the local community.
Exploring the World of Tour Business
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of Tourpreneur. If you enjoyed this episode, please head over to Apple Podcasts Google or Spotify to subscribe to the show and leave a review. Be sure to share your favorite episodes on social media to help us reach more tour operators
Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn and join the Tourpreneur Facebook community! And for more great content and information about the tours and activity industry, visit our website and subscribe to our Daily Brief emails.
Reach Out and Connect with Tourpreneur the Tour Operator Podcast.
More About Tourpreneur Host Shane Whaley