How Travel Curious build and sell tours via hotels with Alex Grant (105)
Travel Curious offers ‘authentic private tours led by handpicked guides in the world’s great cities.’
TP105 – The Story Behind Travel Curious with Alex Grant
Travel Curious is a leading online marketplace for booking private bespoke tours in the world’s greatest cities.
They partner with large travel partners such as Marriott, Hilton, Sunday Times Travel via API or white label solution. Today we bring you the story behind Travel Curious.
Alex joins me today to share the story behind Travel Curious and what makes an excellent tour guide and immersive experience. Alex reveals his journey and inspiration for creating Travel Curious, his relationships with hotels, and how many hotels can generate extra revenue by learning how cruise ship operators sell tours online. He shares why bespoke experiences and private tours are trending and points out which tour is his favorite. Alex discusses partnerships, logistics, funding, and investment and shares how the impact of COVID is changing the travel industry and creating innovations. He also shares his favorite book for startups and highlights how you can keep abreast of the latest travel news and trends.
Alex Grant is the Founder of Travel Curious, a platform for instantly bookable private tours and experiences in over sixty cities around the world. Travel Curious enables large travel companies looking to integrate immersive experiences in their customer journeys with a catalog of 900+ tours, including the Mafia Food Tour in Little Italy, hosted by an ex-New York detective. Alex is also the Co-Founder of Roman Empire Tours, which spurred the idea behind Travel Curious. Alex holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in History and Italian from Trinity College, Dublin and an MBA in Business and Commerce from the European School of Economics where he studied in New York and Rome.
This week on the Tourpreneur Podcast for Tour Operators:
- How working as a tour guide in Rome gave Alex insights and inspired the creation of Travel Curious
- The perplexing situation of hotels not having partnerships with tour providers as a revenue generator
- Why many hotels have been slow to offer tours online and what they can learn from cruise companies
- Why hotels should work with Travel Curious and see tours as an extension of their brand
- Unlocking bespoke experiences with individual hotels
- How Travel Curious sources and vets tour guides and creates bespoke itineraries
- Alex’s favorite Travel Curious tours
- How virtual tours are reinvigorating interest in tours as we recover from the coronavirus pandemic
- The Travel Curious niche partnership modalities including APIs and OTAs
- Owning and operating products and the logistics of offering tours all over the world
- How to seek investment and find funding for your startup
- The impact of COVID and the positive innovations that will ensure long-term success
- The Tour Curious pricing model and offering value to private tour guides
- The rising interest in private and small group tours
- How to keep up with travel news and trends
- The Lean Startup by Eric Ries
Connect with Alex Grant:
- Travel Curious
- Alex Grant on LinkedIn
- Travel Curious on LinkedIn
- Travel Curious on Instagram
- Travel Curious on Facebook
Exploring the World of Tour Entrepreneurship
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of Tourpreneur. If you enjoyed this episode, please head over to Apple Podcasts to subscribe to the show and leave a review. Be sure to share your favorite episodes on social media to help us reach more tour operators
Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn and join the Tourpreneur Facebook community! And for more great content and information about the tours and activity industry, visit our website and subscribe to our Daily Brief emails.
Jeremiah Calvino is the Founder of Blend Marketing, a full service marketing agency designed to help tour and attraction businesses align their strategy, branding, and marketing to increase company growth and profitability.
With decades of experience in Marketing and Communications, Jeremiah and his team have helped tour operators and organizations around the globe – including the Milwaukee Food & City Tours, Skyline Hawai’i, and Lake Geneva Ziplines & Adventures – to increase their bookings, optimize their marketing efforts, and scale their businesses
Not sure how to market your tours and activities locally?
Checkfront just released an in-depth and highly actionable e-book on local marketing, which covers everything from optimizing your local presence online to standing out in the local community. Get your free copy today!
Reach Out and Connect with Tourpreneur
More About Tourpreneur Host Shane Whaley