TP120 – The Surprising Benefits of launching virtual experiences
Tour operator Lauren Shannon joins us today to share the surprising benefits of launching virtual experiences in response to the coronavirus pandemic.
She shares how virtual tours can be a tool to build connections and reveals how virtual could become the new travel planning tool. We discuss the benefits of producing virtual tours, including their use in marketing. Lauren shares the methodology behind creating an online experience and how to drive engagement and overcome the obstacles you might encounter. She also reveals what it is like to become an online personality and highlights the importance of sharing your knowledge and giving back to the industry.
Lauren Shannon is the General Manager and Partner at Arigato Japan Food Tours, a company that provides tours for people to experience authentic local and regional dishes in Hiroshima and Kyoto. She is also the Founder of TrueTaste.Tokyo and the former President of To the Moon and Back & Kimono Wine and Grill. Lauren lives in Setagaya, Tokyo, loves food, wine, creative design, travel, and has experience in the wine and restaurant industry. She holds a degree in education and art from the Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania, has a background in multicultural businesses, and has worked in the tourism industry in Japan for six years.
“A virtual experience online is a much better way to make a really deep connection, get your questions answered, and do some travel planning.” – Lauren Shannon
This week on Tourpreneur the podcast for tour operators:
- How virtual tours are building connections and creating a brand new way of travel planning
- Lead generation and the post-COVID advantages of conducting virtual tours
- Success stories and three reasons for tour operators to produce virtual experiences
- How to maintain media leverage and get reviews through influencer marketing and virtual experiences
- The time it takes to create a virtual tour and how to translate what you do into an online experience
- The advantages of using Zoom as your online tour platform
- How to prepare engaging experiences and make a strong connection through online tours
- How to overcome the drawbacks of virtual group tours
- Lauren’s experiences of becoming an online personality, creating webinars, and the importance of sharing knowledge and giving back
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “Where we can simplify, we should always take that path if possible.” – Lauren Shannon
- “If you look at it as a marketing expense and not as a tour product, then it really makes sense.” – Lauren Shannon
Connect with Lauren Shannon:
- Arigato Japan Food Tours
- Arigato Japan Food Tours on Instagram
- Arigato Japan Food Tours on Facebook
- Arigato Japan Food Tours on Twitter
- Arigato Japan Food Tours on Pinterest
- Lauren Shannon on Facebook
Not sure how to market your tours and activities locally?
Checkfront has released an in-depth and highly actionable e-book on local marketing, which covers everything from optimizing your local presence online to standing out in the local community.
Checkfront is giving away a multi-month free trial for Tourpreneurs so that you have plenty of time to explore the software and see how well it can support your business. Go to checkfront.com/tourpreneur to claim your free trial for the rest of the year.
Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn and join the Tourpreneur Facebook community! And for more great content and information about the tours and activity industry, visit our website and subscribe to our Daily Brief emails.
Don’t miss the important news in the tours and activities industry! Each weekday I send out a curated quick to read email with all the major news in our industry. Sign up for your free Tourpreneur Daily Briefing.
Reach Out and Connect with Tourpreneur the Tour Operator Podcast.
More About Tourpreneur Host Shane Whaley