The Story Behind Juneau Food Tours with Midgi Moore. (115)
Midgi Moore joins me today to share the story behind Juneau Food Tours. She shares how to build relationships with restaurants and get them added to your food tour. She discusses the essential elements of a successful tour, how to create value and price your tour, and how to build your tour brand. Midgi discusses the advantages of working with travel agents, sustainability within tourism, and why she changed booking platforms. Midgi also shares how she vets tour guides, how her company is surviving the COVID-19 pandemic, and her top three tips for growing your tour business.
Midgi Moore is the Founder of Juneau Food Tours, where she creates culinary experiences through tours and private tours. She is a World Food Travel Association Certified Culinary Travel Professional with a passion for writing and blogging about food, telling stories about recipes, and why they are important to her and her family. She spent six years blogging and writing a newspaper column about Juneau.
Prior to launching her company, Midgi worked in the visitor’s bureau at Travel Juneau, where she managed the volunteers and the visitor centers. Midgi is also the Co-CEO of Global Tours Connect and was previously the Volunteer Services Program Manager at Intermountain Healthcare. She has a Bachelor of Science in Business Management, Marketing, and Related Support Services from the University of Phoenix.
September’s Daily Brief and the Tourpreneur Podcast is kindly sponsored by Checkfront, the booking management platform that always has your back — like now.
Checkfront is giving away a multi-month free trial for Tourpreneurs so that you have plenty of time to explore the software and see how well it can support your business. Go to checkfront.com/tourpreneur to claim your free trial for the rest of the year.
“Don’t build your tour around specific restaurants; build it around the story.” – Midgi Moore
This week on Tourpreneur:
- How Midgi builds relationships with restaurants and selects the most appealing venues
- Why it is vital to create tours with unique stories and exclusive offers
- Tips for collecting data that you can leverage to secure restaurants for your tour
- How Midgi was able to work with eight cruise lines and how to add value to your food tours
- How to price your food tours and pay yourself
- How zero cruise-ships this summer has affected Juneau and its community
- The advantages of working with travel agents and how to approach them
- How to build your brand and reach out to press and media companies
- What it is like to work with Gordan Ramsay and gain recognition from a world-renowned chef
- Why Midgi switched to the FareHarbor booking platform
- How to vet and hire a great tour guide
- How to stay relevant during the coronavirus pandemic, get involved with your community, and not be afraid of redefining what you do
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “Create a need for them to come to you. When they see your success, they’ll start knocking on your door.” – Midgi Moore
- “A successful business is built on successful relationships.” – Midgi Moore
- “Even if you’re not operating your tour, keep your voice out there and stay relevant in your community.” – Midgi Moore
- Global Tours Connect
- How A Tour Operator Increased His Bookings Working With GetYourGuide – Meet the OTA with Carlee Stellfox Loya and Marc Terrier. (111)
Connect with Midgi Moore:
- Juneau Food Tours
- Juneau Food Tours on Instagram
- Juneau Food Tours on Facebook
- Juneau Food Tours on Twitter
- Juneau Food Tours on LinkedIn
- Midgi Moore on LinkedIn
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of Tourpreneur. If you enjoyed this episode, please head over to Apple Podcasts Google or Spotify to subscribe to the show and leave a review. Be sure to share your favorite episodes on social media to help us reach more tour operators
Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn and join the Tourpreneur Facebook community! And for more great content and information about the tours and activity industry, visit our website and subscribe to our Daily Brief emails.
Don’t miss the important news in the tours and activities industry! Each weekday I send out a curated quick to read email with all the major news in our industry. Sign up for your free Tourpreneur Daily Briefing.
Reach Out and Connect with Tourpreneur the Tour Operator Podcast.
More About Tourpreneur Host Shane Whaley