How John Coupland designed The Crown Film Locations Tour. (151)
How John Coupland Built his day and private tour business
John Coupland joins me today to share the humble beginnings of his tour company and what inspired him to become a tour operator later in life.
We discuss how he leveraged his previous experiences and methods as an entrepreneur when starting his company and the challenges faced as a new tour operator.
We discuss how he developed relationships with the curators and staff of historic landmarks to offer unique private day tours for his tour guests and how he designed his most popular guided tour, The Crown Film Locations & Royal Secrets Tour.
John shares why it’s critical for tour operators to have the ability to ‘read’ their guest’s body language and how it helps you deliver outstanding tour experiences.
John also reveals the three key lessons he has learned about building a successful tour operation, creating exceptional experiences, and achieving outstanding customer reviews.
This week on Tourpreneur, the Tour Operator Podcast:
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “If your first rapport with a particular location doesn’t go well, then you’ve got the choice as to whether you persevere or you think ‘You know what? This is not for me.’” – John Coupland
- “Always be learning.” – Shane Whaley
- “Treat your guests the way you want to be treated.” – John Coupland
- “Don’t be a perfectionist – that will just backfire for various reasons. Be yourself. Aim to deliver a very memorable tour. Go the extra mile.” – John Coupland
Today’s episode of Tourpreneur is kindly sponsored by FareHarbor
- Enterprise-level, user friendly backend software that works great on both desktop and mobile.
- Process credit cards with the industry’s lowest rates: 1.9% + 30¢ for any card type.
- 24/7 support from our team in Denver, Amsterdam or Sydney, plus one-on-one personal training.
- When you’re ready to go live, we’ll transfer your future bookings and update your website.
- Expand your reach with established distribution channels
- The highest-rated reservation system across all categories, with client stories to prove it.
- We’re the fastest-growing company in the activity and tourism industry, with over 13,000 clients worldwide.
BOOK A DEMO HERE
More about today’s guest
John Coupland is a serial entrepreneur with a passion for historic castles and landmarks.
He is the founder of the independently owned and operated tour operation, John England Tours, a UK-based company providing guided driving and walking tours throughout the historic countryside of South East England.
One of the most popular tours he offers takes guests to a variety of filming locations for the award-winning T.V series, The Crown.
In addition to offering private day tours to locals and tourists, John is also the founder of South East London Business Network and a Business Development Consultant at ACCELerate Your Business.