The Story Behind Buffalo Bike Tours
Marc Moscato joins us today to share the story behind Buffalo Bike Tours.
He reveals what it is really like to run a company in a smaller market that has been depressed for many years but is now seeing revitalization and pockets of growth.
We discuss his experience of starting a nonprofit organization and the benefits and drawbacks of running nonprofit and for-profit models. He also reveals the OTAs and marketing methods he is using and explains how to position your tour business to attract travel writers, bloggers, and your audience.
Today’s episode of Tourpreneur is kindly sponsored by Ventrata
Ventrata is a proven and versatile booking platform built for high volume tours and attractions. With contactless booking, payment and check-in solutions they can get your business back up and running quickly while keeping your staff and customers safe. For more visit us at Ventrata.
This week on Tourpreneur the tour operator podcast:
- The Buffalo Wings Tour tasting experience and the reception to social issues and history.
- Why support from the local community is crucial for growth and the impact of COVID-19.
- How the Visitor Bureau has helped Marc with marketing and promotion.
- The effectiveness of Facebook in generating interest in local tours.
- How to build self-guided tours with a smartphone app.
- Creating rack cards for your local bureau and tourist board.
- Positioning your story within a larger narrative to attract travel writers, bloggers, and your audience.
- Why Marc chose FareHarbor and the OTAs he works with.
- The benefits and disadvantages of running a nonprofit organization.
- Choosing your company structure, building trust, and being open and responsive in your programming.
- Why you’ve got to put yourself out there and in uncomfortable positions
Check out Marc’s history of Buffalo Wings includes videos (run time less than 5 mins.)
Marc recommends Wing Ride – The hidden history of chicken wings ride!
Who is Marc Moscato of Buffalo Bike Tours?
Marc Moscato is the Founder of Buffalo Bike Tours, sharing the tastes and story of Buffalo through private and public tours and bike rentals since 2018.
Marc was previously the Executive Director of Know Your City, a guest lecturer for Road Scholar, and a Tour Guide for Everybody’s Bike Tours.
He is an artist and keynote speaker, working for more than 15 years as a communications specialist, project manager, and creative strategist. Marc has a Master’s degree in Arts and Administration from the University of Oregon and a Bachelor’s degree in Communication and Media Studies from the University at Buffalo.
Some of Our Favorite Quotes:
- “That collaborative nature of working with other businesses leverages and builds partnerships and ties and makes us stronger.” – Marc Moscato
- “We have a responsibility as tour operators to tell authentic stories and to ask hard questions.” – Marc Moscato
- Visit Buffalo Niagara
- Step Out Buffalo
- Ride with GPS
- Niagara River Greenway
- Peak Pro
Connect with Marc Moscato:
- Buffalo Bike Tours
- Buffalo Bike Tours on Instagram
- Buffalo Bike Tours on Facebook
- Buffalo Bike Tours on YouTube
- Marc Moscato on LinkedIn
This episode is sponsored by: Ventrata
Exploring the World of Tour Entrepreneurship
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of Tourpreneur. If you enjoyed this episode, please head over to Apple Podcasts to subscribe to the show and leave a review. Be sure to share your favorite episodes on social media to help us reach more tour operators
Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn and join the Tourpreneur Facebook community! And for more great content and information about the tours and activity industry, visit our website and subscribe to our Daily Brief emails.
Don’t miss the important news in the tours and activities industry! Each weekday I send out a curated quick to read email with all the major news in our industry. Sign up for your free Tourpreneur Daily Briefing.
Reach Out and Connect with Tourpreneur the Tour Operator Podcast.
More About Tourpreneur Host Shane Whaley