We run the rule over 3 Tour Operator websites with suggestions on how to improve copy in our first ever copywriting for tour operators clinic.
Veteran digital marketer Dorene Wharton joins us today to share her advice on copywriting for tour operators. We discuss creating concepts to keep your visitors reading and ultimately choose your tour.
We offered listeners the chance to have their tour copy evaluated by Dorene and Shane. We selected three very different tour operators who volunteered and on this episode, you can hear/watch us provide constructive feedback. There are plenty of lessons, tips, and advice or all tour operators.
Our three brave tour operators are:
London’s Black Cab Heritage Tours
We share the methods and strategies that create an aspirational and ‘ready to book’ mindset. We discuss when copy is too much and the areas where you should reduce the amount of detail. We share ways to optimize your homepage by focusing on decision factors and unique selling points. We also share how you can convince and persuade your target audience – even if you don’t have a lot of PR – and discuss why your copywriting and SEO strategies need to work hand-in-hand.
Dorene Wharton is the Head Marketer and Strategist at Travel Life Media, a company helping accommodation, tour, and event businesses better market their brand through multimedia and video.
Dorene has more than 25 years of experience in brand strategy, marketing, and communication through website copy. She previously worked for DW Consulting as their Business Development and Marketing Strategist and Top Drawer Creative as their Advertising and Marketing Account Director. She has a Bachelor of Commerce in Marketing and Economics from Haskayne School of Business. Her base of operations is in Columbia, where she lives with her husband while running their business with remote working and location-independent teams.
September’s Daily Brief and the Tourpreneur Podcast is kindly sponsored by Checkfront, the booking management platform that always has your back — like now.
Checkfront is giving away a multi-month free trial for Tourpreneurs so that you have plenty of time to explore the software and see how well it can support your business. Go to checkfront.com/tourpreneur to claim your free trial for the rest of the year.
“When it comes to copywriting and SEO, you want them to work together.” – Dorene Wharton
This week on Tourpreneur, the podcast for tour operators:
- Why you should focus on behavior as target audiences change due to travel restrictions
- Using insights to create a tagline to grab attention and explain what you are all about
- Positioning your COVID-19 updates, information, calls to action, and reviews
- Adding clarity and being direct by avoiding the passive voice
- What ‘stops’ are and why you should limit their number
- What you should include on your about us page and establishing a personal connection
- How to encourage newsletter subscriptions
- Using photos, videos, and small, bold paragraphs to maximize effect
- Organizing your homepage hierarchy and structure to maximize opportunities
- How to make your copywriting and SEO work together
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “Focus on behaviors. Just because Americans aren’t traveling, that doesn’t mean that someone from Germany, who might be able to travel, doesn’t have the same views and opinions of various tours.” – Dorene Wharton
- “When you are direct and straight to the point, it just has more impact, and it’s a little more punchier.” – Dorene Wharton
- “Choose the things that are the most interesting and go into more details in the details section.” – Dorene Wharton
- “The higher the price, the more copy or images are needed.” – Shane Whaley
- COPYWRITING TIPS FOR TOUR OPERATORS WITH DORENE WHARTON (106)
- Unique Maui Tours
- Google Analytics
- Hot Jar
- Taste of Toulouse
- Black Cab Heritage Tours
- The Knowledge 1979
Connect with Dorene Wharton:
- Travel Life Media
- Travel Life Media on LinkedIn
- Travel Life Media on Instagram
- Travel Life Media on Facebook
- Travel Life Media on Twitter
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of Tourpreneur. If you enjoyed this episode, please head over to Apple Podcasts Google or Spotify to subscribe to the show and leave a review. Be sure to share your favorite episodes on social media to help us reach more tour operators
Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn and join the Tourpreneur Facebook community! And for more great content and information about the tours and activity industry, visit our website and subscribe to our Daily Brief emails.
Don’t miss the important news in the tours and activities industry! Each weekday I send out a curated quick to read email with all the major news in our industry. Sign up for your free Tourpreneur Daily Briefing.
Reach Out and Connect with Tourpreneur the Tour Operator Podcast.
More About Tourpreneur Host Shane Whaley