The Story Behind a Berlin Food Tour with Founder of Fork and Walk Tours Dov Selby.
Tour operator Dov Selby joins us today to share the story behind Berlin Food Tour Fork and Walk Tours. He discusses the hurdles that he faced to become a tourpreneur and to start his own Berlin Food Tour business.
He shares how Fork and Walk Tours in Berlin and Munich create interest around its products and the roles of OTAs, organic marketing, and paid advertising. Dov shares how he builds relationships with local business and tour guides and highlights why it is vital to create a team that is passionate about your business.
Dov also discusses how his new website captures sales from the corporate market and his mindset on finding the right work/life balance.
Who is Food Tourpreneur Dov Selby?
Dov Selby is the founder and manager of Fork and Walk Tours, an independent food tour company based in Berlin, Germany since 2016 with a second branch in Munich, Bavaria. Fork and Walk Tours focuses on the local food scene and its creators and chefs, revealing the stories and colorful history of Berlin and Munich through their diverse food and culture. Dov has extensive experience in managing VIP client accounts and forging business partnerships, working previously as a travel manager for Talpa, Germany at ITV, following roles at Zalando and Air Berlin. He has a Bachelor’s degree in Business Management, Tourism, and Events Management from La Trobe University in Melbourne, Australia.
“With all entrepreneurs – or anyone who wants to open a business – that dive out of your full-time job is always a concern because you aren’t going to get up and running straight away.” – Dov Selby
This week on Tourpreneur, the weekly independent podcast for tour operators:
- How visiting Berlin and seeing its culture inspired Dov to start Fork and Walk Tours
- The barriers that face entrepreneurs when starting a business
- How Fork and Walk Tours created interest around their products
- How to build relationships and choose the right business partnerships
- When to employ and the benefits of different perspectives
- What Dov looks for in the ideal tour guide and fostering those relationships
- Why Dov’s website attracts corporate tours
- Organic marketing versus paid marketing and OTAs
- Where to invest your time in the COVID and post-COVID marketplace
- Why big companies are struggling more than smaller tour companies
- How the new Fork and Tours website will drive conversions and capture corporate sales
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “For us, it was really important to work with people who loved our concept.” – Dov Selby
- “You want to create something unique; you want to create a unique product and a unique angle.” – Dov Selby
- “Invest in tour guides because as an owner you are not the future of your company in terms of being on the front lines.” – Dov Selby
- Copywriting Tips for Tour Operators with Dorene Wharton
- Why I decided not to develop virtual tours for my tour business with Jessica Hammer
- Google Sheets
- Google Documents
- Google Maps
Connect with Dov Selby:
- Fork and Walk Tours
- Fork and Walk Tours on LinkedIn
- Fork and Walk Tours on Instagram
- Fork and Walk Tours Facebook
- Fork and Walk Tours Twitter
- Dov Selby on LinkedIn
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of Tourpreneur. If you enjoyed this episode, please head over to Apple Podcasts Spotify or Google Podcasts to subscribe to the show and leave a review. Be sure to share your favorite episodes on social media to help us reach more tour operators
Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn and join the Tourpreneur Facebook community! And for more great content and information about the tours and activity industry, visit our website and subscribe to our Daily Brief emails.
Don’t miss the important news in the tours and activities industry! Each weekday I send out a curated quick to read email with all the major news in our industry. Sign up for your free Tourpreneur Daily Briefing.
Reach Out and Connect with Tourpreneur the Tour Operator Podcast.
More About Tourpreneur Host Shane Whaley